Skip to main content

Year In Review

Well as 2010 ends, all I can say is I am thankful. 2010 was very hard.

1. Post 5 to 7 blog posts a week. While I didn't complete this challenge there was a good reason. In midst of getting this blog up and running I became very caught up in the numbers... visitors, views projects I was completing.. and lost sight of what Frugal Farmhouse was suppose to be about. I took time off, re-centered my head and while I may not post as much as super bloggers... I am still here.

2. $5/person/week grocery challenge- succeeded until about July. Will be going back to our skimpy grocery budget so I am sure you will here more about this again.

3. Homestead skill a month challenge- This is my favorite resolution and have carried it over to this year.
My goals were:
1. How to make butter-nope..
2. How to make hard boiled eggs-nope but will try
3. Make homemade tortillas- yes and will continue to perfect these.
4. Hm laundry soap-yes and I love it!
5. Hm pasta-yep
6. Hm taco seasoning-yep
7. Hm ranch dressing- yep
8. Learn how to can- nope
9. Hm sourdough bread- yep, and it is way to time consuming lol
10. Rag rug-nope
11. How to darn socks-nope
12. Fine tune MY recipe binder with all hm yummy goodness- This is more of an on going process, and have realized this now.

4. 2010 homemade Christmas- I did not make anything.. to be honest but only spent about 30 total.

5. Fling 2010 Things in 2010 Challenge- completed and went well over that number.

6. 2010 sewing challenge- I did complete a garbage bag full of project snuggles blankets that I donated other than that nothing was completed on this challenge. In midst of losing unemployment I sold my sewing machine to pay bills... I was given my grandma's ancient machine and am so excited to pick it up next time we are there.

7. 2010 needlearts challenge-
1. shopping bags made out of plastic bags nope..
2. dish clothes- lots and lots!
3. socks- so hard, nope.
4. hats for Warming Families-nope

8. pantry freezer challenge- did really well on this challenge. and replenished it all back haha!

9. 20 wishes challenge-

1. learn how to make quilt blocks-no..
2. make curtains for bedroom-YES!
3. get rid of half of clothes-YES!
4. keep my house clean-YES!
5. get rid of 1000 things in January YES!
6. learn how to knit-nope
7. achieve my financial goals- no
8. find a meaningful job-.... sadly.... no...
9. have a successful monetary blog- still working on this.
10. if I haven’t used stuff in storage by march get rid of it.- yes.
11. Take online courses- lost internet for a long while, so no.
12. Learn to can- nope
13. Document important recipes from grandma- still working on this.
14. Read 12 books this year- read a hand ful
15. Charity work, project snuggles, warming families- did a few things, but plan to do a lot more
16. College- started researching
17. Reduce food intake, food waste- YES!
18. Keep resolutions and challenges-sort of :D
19. Saved for later
20. Saved for later

10. Save $1000 by March 15th- luckily didn't have to complete this.


I did not complete a lot of my goals, but I learned a lot. I have set the bar even higher this year and am excited to see 2010 go.

I look forward to experiencing it all with you. I hope you had a happy and safe new year!


Comments

  1. Happy New Year Brandi! May you accomplish everything you hope to accomplish in 2011!

    *hugs*
    Debbie K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barn wood reindeer

I was  recently invited to an ornament exchange. We were instructed to create 12 of the same ornaments. We then wrapped one of the ornaments and put the other 11 in a box. We passed around the wrapped ornaments and opened them, sort of like a white elephant exchange. That way we all got to oogle and google  each others ornaments.

I made reclaimed barn wood reindeer. I think they turned out super cute. What do you think? Anyone want a tutorial?




Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Braid

Source: 3kidsandus.com via Brandi on Pinterest

BROCCOLI CHEDDAR CHICKEN BRAID

Ingredients
2 cans Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
2 cups chicken chunks, cooked
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups broccoli, frozen, steamed and chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 egg yolk
fresh rosemary

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle.
Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cheese, broccoli and mayonnaise
Spread mixture over the center of the croissant dough evenly to create a log.
Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips 1 inch apart down each side of the crescent dough.
Fold the dough strips over the top of the chicken mixture, alternating left and right to create a braid.
Brush the top of the braid with a beaten egg yolk and sprinkle fresh rosemary on top.
Bake for 28 – 30 minutes until golden brown.

How perfect does this sound for an easy Friday night din…

One Month to love book review

This book is divided into 30 short chapters that cover all different aspects of relationships in your life. Some people are more easy to love than others, and this definitely helps with the difficulties involved in some people. Some things in this book are very predictable. Such as focusing on the person that you actually with. In the age we live in, it is often easier or more convenient to 'play' on our phones or computers, instead of paying attention to the people that matter the most.  Each chapter ends with a challenge which includes questions or things to think about and consider. While much of this book is just reiterating what we all should be doing to maintain and straighten our relationships there are some surprising ideas. One that stood out to me is the chapter entitled. ' Practicing the art of risking awkwardness'.  Included in this chapter is the idea of swallowing your pride and facing the uncomfortable stage where something has happened and usually run …